News and Views :  News and Views The fastest message board... ever.
Chit chat about the wind, the conditions, plans, great sessions etc. 
Easter Weekend wave sailing at the coast
Posted by: James ()
Date: April 02, 2015 07:29AM

I will be down at Umkomaas. If anyone wants a beach report let me know.

At the moment the weather can't make up it's mind but it looks as if there'll be a West at some stage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Easter Weekend wave sailing at the coast
Posted by: James ()
Date: April 07, 2015 09:36AM

Had a very short one at Umkomaas on Sunday.

The West built slowly all day. I sailed in the afternoon after measuring 16-23 avg 19. Quite constant but a bit light.

The sea was running a massive current so I rigged big - 6.0. Glad I did because the surf turned out bigger than expected. Close to logo high and quite powerful waves.

zero shorebreak but a rather hollow midbreak. Luckily it was breaking in sections so with the power I could go downwind to get around the sections.

Was a bit tricky staying upwind with the current so I had some long runs to gain ground. Had one good ride and then on my next attempt I was smacked with a 30+ gust as a rain squall came through.

Scary stuff - a very big wave was chasing me and I was trying to tap off the power enough to keep the board from climbing out the water on the fin but keep enough speed up to outrun the monster behind me.

After the squall I had another go but got taken out by my labrador who'd followed me in! Called it a day at that point - the rain making the wind very unpredictable and the surf getting nastier.

Still, good fun and I like the spot. Look forward to trying it again in a west.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.