News and Views :  News and Views The fastest message board... ever.
Chit chat about the wind, the conditions, plans, great sessions etc. 
Vetch's development
Posted by: Cliff ()
Date: October 17, 2011 08:42AM

I see the Vetch's small craft harbour saga was in the newspaper yesterday. sounds like the developers might have won the battle , and construction begins early next year..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vetch's development
Posted by: James ()
Date: October 17, 2011 10:15AM

I saw that too. Bleak... can't even connect to the paddleski club's website to see what they have to say... maybe they've been evicted from their website too.

What really sucks is that once they've pourec concrete on that beach it is gone forever... buildings you can knock down if no-one moves in and it doesn't work out but that beach will be lost.

It is a really sad day for anyone wanting to progress from flat water windsurfing into windsurfing in the sea... you're going to have to go from flat water, straight into the waves at Baggies. Expensive exercise, I reckon.

Re: Vetch's development
Posted by: James ()
Date: October 17, 2011 01:02PM

Article below.

[www.iol.co.za]

Quite a nice summary by Johnny Vasillaros in the above article:

"We want to preserve the beach and reefÂ… for all the people of South Africa. We are not opposed to any landward development on the Point, but to the creation of a small-craft harbour, which would not only destroy the beach, but most of the marine life on the reef as well. We want to ensure safe and affordable access to the ocean for all boating enthusiasts of the city, and not just to an elite few."

It is the small craft harbour proposal that is really the issue. Most people support the upgrading of the point land area... but the idea of building these structures out into the sea at the expense of such a unique beach just seems irresponsible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.